Several industry workers, laborers and peasants are provided with yellow or orange protective gears to wear on-site at work. These industrial clothing and safety gears have come into the picture only in the recent years. These outfits protect the industry workers from everyday as well as environmental hazards. These industrial clothing are teflon coated. The scientific name of teflon is Polytetrafluoroethylene.
Teflon is the trade name that is used in commercial terms and it was discovered accidentally in the laboratory by Dr. Plunkett later. Teflon was advertised and marketed for its multifarious uses such as, its resistance quality to high temperatures, poor conductor of electricity, unbreakable, self-lubricating, and non-toxic. Fabric and garment manufacturers in India are now making use of this technology to manufacture industrial gear.
What is Teflon coated fabric?
- Teflon coated fabrics are the materials treated with this teflon fabric protector and repel oil and water.
- Polytetrafluoroethylene, most commonly known as Non-Stick Teflon, is a type of polymer which is primarily composed of fluorine and carbon. These are the primary ingredients that are a part of teflon coating.
- This particular coating successfully resists and protects textile from stains, unpredictable spills, and splashes.
The advantages of Using Teflon Coated Fabrics
Teflon coating is used in products manufactured in industries such as electronics, cookware, medical, surgical and automotive industries. Teflon has huge scope in the food and beverage industry because of its preservative properties. Further, there are different teflon coated fabric manufacturers in India that offer high quality teflon fabrics and textile to other industry verticals.
Listed below are the advantages of teflon coated fabrics:
- Immune to UV degradation – Teflon coated fabrics are found to be immune to UV degradation. Hence material deterioration is prevented, giving it a long-lasting life.
- Worker safety – Factories and manufacturing units make use of chemicals that can cause spillage or where even heavy equipment need to be used on a daily basis. Teflon coated fabrics used in worker uniforms prevents workers from getting injuries. Teflon coating is also used in making industrial aprons, reflective jackets, industrial and coverall boiler suits.
- Protection from chemical contact – Certain industries cause daily exposure of chemicals to their workers. Safety gear or teflon coated fabrics protects workers from hazardous impact of chemicals on the workers’ everyday wellbeing. Textile fabric manufacturers in India are focusing on using teflon as a material for making worker uniforms.
- Rich properties – Teflon coated fabric or Poly–tetra-fluoro-ethylene (PTFE) coated fabric if used in industrial clothing guarantees protection from various elements. Because teflon has rich properties such as, water resistant, non-flammable, resistant to atmospheric conditions, and resistant to all chemicals.
- Protective curtains – Teflon coated fabric material is also used in making protective curtains for chemical processing plants for limiting splashing of liquids and gaseous flames that could be hazardous.
- Easy to dry – Teflon coated fabrics get dried extremely fast.
- Requires less washing – They require a lesser number of washing as compared to other fabrics.
Therefore, the usage of teflon coating in fabrics and uniforms not only ensures worker safety but also goes a long way in improving their productivity.